Just two years after beginning to make sculptures at age 54, Dorothy Dehner had her first one-woman exhibition at New York’s Willard Gallery. Through out her career she became an award-winning sculptor and painter who produced Surrealist and geometric abstract works in various mediums. In 1951, Dehner studied printmaking at William Stanley Hayter’s Atelier 17 and becoming known for her three-dimensional work. Initially creating cast-bronze sculpture, Dehner started working with wood in the mid-1970s. She was a visiting artist at the Tamarind Lithography Workshop in 1970-1971. In 1981, Skidmore College gave her an honorary doctorate, and the following year, she received an award from the Women’s Caucus for. She was also the subject of major retrospectives at the Jewish Museum in New York (1965), City University of New York (1991), the Katonah Museum of Art (1993), and the Cleveland Museum of Art (1995). She was also recognized for the Award of Distinction, National Sculpture Conference: Works by Women, Cincinnati, USA (1987).